Saturday, May 3, 2008

Books

I'm reading The Tin Drum, by Gunter Grass. It is a sad and strange, but lovely book. My impression of the book before reading it was that it was a WWII book; which it is, but it is much more too. What has really surprised me are the magical elements, the fantasy, and the weirdness...just not what I expected, but enjoyable so far.

Maybe the best part of the book is the edition I have borrowed from the library-cloth bound, with one of those attached ribbon page markers, I just love the feel of it. I wish more books had this kind of detail. Check out the beautiful end papers at Drawger. Beautiful.

I've been seeing some really amazing work being done with books:Artwork by Jennifer Koshbin. Brian Dettmer: Book Autopsies

And some great Etsy artists are working with books too. I am in love with this bookshelf by Mineisclouds.



It is custom made, designed to hold your favorite books with all the tops even. I am drooling over this. The Boyfriend would probably call it impractical, but I think it would be a very special place for my most favorite of favorite books.

Cool book sculpture by Paperfaerie.
Original hand drawn line design over a vintage 1960's chemistry text page. "Morphine," by pygletwhispers.

No comments: